The 7 Men You Will Meet On The Road
Yeah, sure. There are much men travelling than us. I’ve met different men in the 8-month period of my journey at the same time, I also met women who have done the same. No matter how much we want to generalize men, they are all different and I hadn’t realized it until I travelled.
Do you ever wonder what’s it like to be inside a man’s head? I do. I want to know what they think. I want to know what are their desires, their travelling goals, what they want to be when they’re 30 or 35. I want to ask them what are they looking forward to before landing a country: is it the culture? The food? The night life? The beautiful exotic women?
With this, I have gathered my travel girlfriends’ experiences (and mine too. Definitely not denying anything) to showcase the different types of men on the road. If you’re a solo female traveller, you can definitely relate at one point. Note that this is based on personal experiences. It can be right or wrong for you but we all have different views. However, I have a good feeling you will enjoy each story.
1. LONELY BOY
- Profile: He is most likely travelling by himself or with someone he met on the road. He likes visiting museums, reading a book while swinging on a hammock at your hostel or waking up early in the morning to brew some coffee — at 6:30.
- Where Will You Meet Him: At a hostel or a city tour.
hostel in the morning. Don’t worry, he won’t take it against you. He will actually offer you more coffee the next days.
- The Scenario: He will like you but not in a creepy way. He will have a secret crush on you. He will constantly talk to you and will have a hard time thinking of a topic to open up. He is shy but compliments your hair or what you’re wearing every now and then. Of course, you will not see it. Never. He will remain quiet forever. He thinks you’re out of his league so he won’t bother. But he will be there all the time, watching you from afar without you noticing it.
- The Ending: You will break his heart without you knowing it. But he will be okay. He’s used to being alone.
2. THE PRETTY BOYS
- Profile: A group of boys travelling together or on a gap year. Their age range is 19 – 22 (not more than that, sorry). They talk and laugh loud. They stay up late. They like going to bars. Most of the time, they are wearing nipple-showing sandos, folded maong shorts and slippers. Some are in caps too. They are pretty boys like Zayn, Louis, Harry, Liam and Niall with long curly hair and flawless skin. They might be even prettier than you. Lastly, they’re travelling with a guitar.
- Where Will You Meet Them: On the beach. They like flaunting their on-the-verge-of-becoming-a-man-bodies.
- How Will You Meet Them:They will come to you. They actually like being around women and if you’re older, bingo! They like you double.
- The Scenario: You will be joining them for a bonfire one night at the beach. They will be playing their guitar but don’t worry, they won’t sing One Direction songs. They know you don’t dig 1D. For some odd reasons, they’re a group of 4 and you are also travelling with 3 other girls. Voila! It’s a pairing party. You’re not thinking of the same (pairing) but they have situated themselves on the bonfire circle sitting next to each of your friends. They’ve secretly selected each one of you while sunbathing by the shore. Surprisingly, it all worked out fine. The pairing happened without them fighting. One (or two at most) out of four pairs will work out but not all of you like the idea.
- The Ending: He will like you but you will never think of laying a hand on him because you are almost seven years older.
3. THE AIRHEAD BAR VOLUNTEER
- Profile: Tall, has a great body and unbelievably charming. He’s a volunteer and probably assigned to the bar of your hostel. The moment his shift starts, he enters the bar, starts to do that thing boys do where they pull their shirts over their heads with one swoop and puts his cap backwards. He plays loud music that none of you like but you can’t really complain. He’s the master of the bar. He tries to do tricks while mixing the drinks but he never pulls it off. You will see most girls watching his stupid tricks and yelling “wow” with something which is not really wow-able. He likes the attention. He likes it when women swarm over the bar like an audience.
- Where Will You Meet Him: At your hostel bar, of course.
- How Will You Meet Him: Everyone knows him.
- The Scenario: He will always give compliments to your face, legs, as*, hair, clothing the way you carried yourself, what you wore and how you wore it. WARNING: He says the same thing to everyone who sits at the bar. As much as he wants to compliment you, he also wants to say good things about himself. For example, he will often ask you if there’s dirt on his face, if his hair looks okay or if you think he’s getting fat because of travelling. The moment you start to talk about sensible things such as art, books and the like, he says nothing (or changes the topic). The best response you will receive from him is “yeah,” “I know, right,” or “that’s awesome!” Nothing more. He’s like a turnip which you can never ever squeeze blood from (or any possible substance there is).
- The Ending: You will run as fast as you can before he starts hitting on you.
4. THE BEST FRIEND MATERIAL
- Profile: He’s about your height, definitely good-looking and single. He’s an artist. He’s funny, intelligent, owns a skateboard or a cool gadget. He’s not the boy version of you because you’re very different people. He likes watching movies at the hostel or overdosing himself with coffee. He’s a listener. Not gay but respects a woman’s view. He can be a bully sometimes but in a very funny way. He can make you laugh and at the same time, he has substance. Most likely, he’s a long-term traveller so he has a lot of stories to tell without being boastful about it.
- Where Will You Meet Him: In the mixed-dorm.
- How Will You Meet Him: Duh, you’re room mates. He can be above or across your bunk bed.
- The Scenario: You arrived the hostel the same day he did and both of you will be staying long-term. You will spend nights drinking beer and cooking together. In fact, there is a shared cupboard of your grocery stuff at the hostel kitchen. You tell him everything — about men, about travelling, about life, just about everything. Sometimes, he cooks breakfast for you and you will do the same for lunch or dinner. He will teach you how to ride a skateboard. You will watch movies together while neatly tucked on your bed (or his bed) but you will never feel uncomfortable of the position. He’s your wingman everytime you guys go to a club. When a man starts hitting on you and you don’t like it, he always saves you by pretending he’s your boyfriend. If he asks you what you think about a girl he met at a club, you will respond with all honesty and no hard feelings. There is no romantic spark between the two of you though everyone thinks you’re a couple.
- The Ending: You will not be together and you will not develop a romantic relationship because for once in your life, it was finally okay for you to just lay there with a man without expecting anything. Just pure friendship. You will be in touch even if you separate ways.
5. THE ONE WHO LEAVES IN THE MORNING
- Profile: He’s gold, always has his swag on, tall, dark, extremely sexy and intelligent enough. He presents himself by always wearing a long-sleeved polo, jeans and leather shoes. He’s not too old though. He just wants to look beautiful and not like a teenager with worn-out shirt and torn jeans. He works in a business industry or plays extreme sports professionally. He looks godly — bearded and glows as he walks in the club. You will never see him with lots of girls around him or even offering to buy a drink for someone at the bar. He’s naturally nice. A gentleman. You look at him like he’s the real deal relationship material.
- Where Will You Meet Him: At the local club — where everyone goes.
- How Will You Meet Him: This can be a Couchsurfing meet up. You walk in, introduce yourself to everyone and start having some drinks. While you are on your phone, a guy approaches you saying, “Is that you on the wallpaper? That’s sexy.” As ugly as it sounds, I am afraid my beloved Couchsurfing have turned into an ugly soiree.
- The Scenario: After picking you up with the wallpaper line, he goes off and talks to other people in the gathering. He doesn’t come back for an hour or so. You keep reeling him in but he’s proving a difficult catch. After a few drinks, he comes back with a tequilla bottle. You drank as much as he did and then he asked you to dance. Trance. Indie. All the music you liked played on your favor. You know how to dance to these tunes. You like him. It shows that he likes you too. Not on a lusty level but a like like level. He’s just all over you. He looks at you like you’re an artwork at the Louvre. Finally, he attacked your lips with ferocity, swallowed and tasted you as hard as he can. You continued to dance despite of the heavy sweating. The kiss was frantic. Borderly shocking even. The business was taken cared of outside the bar. Some place you don’t know yet. You just wanted to leave immediately.
- The Ending: Half awake, you try to reach the left side of the bed but you can’t feel anything. You had a long and tedious night only to find out you are waking up alone. You didn’t even know how you guys went to your hotel/hostel. Wait, do you even remember his name? Epiphany. It will come to you. You will cut yourself some slack and move on. You will learn you can own your feelings but never ever expect reciprocation. However, you will never choose to be the girl who leaves in the morning.
6. THE STALKER
- Profile: Fairly good-looking, not too tall, intelligent. He can cook. He can also be an artist. He’s not too fit and always wears a jacket, jeans and sneakers.
- Where Will You Meet Him: In a bar. Literally the bar.
- How Will You Meet Him: He comes to you and asks for your opinion about a drink. Then the conversation starts — and never ends.
- The Scenario: You like talking to him. He has substance. You tell him about the books you read, your adventures, how you got here and why you got here. There was too much time so you also discussed about movies, your favorite stuff, clothing. He is just listening while you order one drink after the other, all on his tab. He insisted. You said thank you. When the night is almost over, you exchange numbers/Facebook and decided to meet again. The next day, he asks you out to lunch (no feelings attached whatsoever) and he talked and talked and talked — about the same things you said last night. The books, the movies, the places, the way of travel. Apparently, he’s claiming he read all the books you read, watched the films you have seen, and been to all the places you’ve been. A cold brush of wind starts crawling your spine and you’ll become uncomfortable. It can’t be. How can you share the exact same things with a person you just met? You also think it’s creepy that after 24 hours, he intelligently discussed in detail all the things you like. Apparently, he did his research the night he met you. Turns out he never slept at all. You’re just sitting there, mind flying away without touching the pasta you ordered. Then you tried to make an excuse that you don’t feel well from last night and you have to go back to your hotel.
- The Ending: After 3 days of not hearing from you, he checks in at the exact same hostel you are in.
7. THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY
- Profile: He has sun-kissed skin (dark actually), extremely tall, sporty and always wears that perfume which makes everyone (even the men) turn around when he passes by. He’s more often than not quiet but when he talks, you will deeply listen. He is breathtaking. Breathtakingly sexy. Breathtakingly beautiful. Breathtakingly real. Just breathtaking. He will torture you by just existing. He has a decent job back home which allows him to travel at least once a year for three months. We can definitely put him in the “good men” list.
- Where Will You Meet Him: At your hostel. Damn, hostels are really the place to be, don’t you think?
- How Will You Meet Him: You happen to be signing up on the same city tour.
- The Scenario: After the city tour, you will spend so much time together — from going to the grocery store and cooking together at the hostel. It has been like this for days and one day, he asked you out for dinner and surprised you — something no one has done for you before — not even your guy bestfriend. At dinner, you start being sweet, hold hands but not kissing. Maybe a little but not really. It’s clean fun. After dinner, you walk to the city and watch the beautiful night lights. He removes his jacket and puts it on your shoulders. He noticed you are shivering (or pretending to be). You walked and walked and walked without feeling tired. You grabbed some beers along the way and brought it to the hostel. The night will just be about endless conversation and staring at each other. His eyes are shining. It gets deeper when the next day, he asks you to travel with him for a few weeks. You said yes but you didn’t make out in his Mustang to Radiohead. To start with, he doesn’t have a Mustang neither is he a Radiohead fan. It got deeper. You camped together. You kissed. You slept in his arms. You equated him with security. You watched him every night while he sleeps. He’s so beautiful to look at. You cooked for him. You hyperventilated with his proximity. He said you consumed his thoughts. All he can think of when you’re around him is “you are so gosh damn beautiful.” You distract him — the way your hair falls loose on your shoulders or the way your jeans hug your thighs everytime you take a single step. You did extreme adventures with him — dessert trekking, paragliding, hiking, mountain climbing, sky diving and all the ings available. You finished it all. After just a few weeks, you are inlove with this man — obviously, he is too. It’s the kind of love you never thought you would have.
- The Ending: After three weeks, you are almost ready to talk to him about what’s happening between the two of you. What do you call each other? What’s this? Suddenly, like a lightbulb, he had flipped a switch. He said he really likes you but he has to go home because he’s engaged. Your mouth gaped open and your heart sputtered with exceptional misery.
Disclaimer: This post doesn’t mean to offend or stereotype men. Should you have any violent reactions, suggestions, or addition to the list, please leave a comment below.
I’m about to be inside the head of a man soon and I’ll let you know what they think about women travellers. It’s going to be exciting!