Editor’s Note: If you are interested to apply, please read the whole thing. If you miss one single bit of the application, then your application will not be considered.
Featured photo above was when I lived with a Vietnamese family for a week to learn about Vietnamese food in the northern region of Vietnam. For 2020, I will be exploring more food around the world to bring you more journalistic pieces on how the world cooks, eats, and sleeps. I already started the first season of this series in Mexico (later this month, shooting in Peru) and in early 2020, in Asia!
We are going to Taiwan, Japan, Indonesia, and Singapore to film and explore. If you get in, you will be able to go to Mexico with me, too!
Why do I need a chef in this video production series?
Well, as you know, I’ve been a food journalist for a while and I really don’t know much about the technicalities of cooking – I only know how it is cultural to every country I visit. You may say I can easily research for these things but I need someone who has experience and is knowledgeable with Asian food. In order for me to bring legitimate content, I need your help and expertise!
What’s going to happen in this project?
As I said, we will travel to some Asian countries I will pick and we will live with local families. It will be more or less a backpacking style so please don’t expect something fancy. I need someone like me who can sleep anywhere. This is not at all a 5-star experience but I assure you that living with local families has been the best way of traveling I’ve done in the past 10 years. In these homes, we will cook, cook, cook (and film, of course) so you must be ready to cook and learn every day!
For one month, we will be in Asia. The trip will be all expense paid but without daily allowance. You need to be available from February – June 2020. After Asia, we will be heading to Mexico so I hope you’ll have the time!
Please DO NOT apply if:
- You are not social and are not willing to stay with local families. Again, this is not a 5-star travel experience!
Please DO apply if:
- You are willing to risk and travel for food even without monetary compensation. I need you to come with me and be excited with the experience of learning from local homes. After all, this will benefit your career in a longer term.
- You are social, energetic, has experience in backpacking (not required) and is very much willing to learn to cook in local homes.
Who is qualified to apply?
- Studied Culinary Arts or something related. It doesn’t have to be a Bachelor’s Degree, but preferred.
- You must be from Southeast Asia: Philippines (preferred), Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.
- Must be knowledgeable in Asian food. You need to know how to cook most Asian food!
- Must love to travel for food. I want someone who will try to eat anything with me without hesitation. You can see my Instagram story highlights to see what kind of food I’ve explored in 2018. You must not be picky with food!
- Must be adventurous and loves the outdoors.
- You must be not more than 35 years old, preferrably without kids. I don’t really want to take you away from your family for a long time so I hope you understand!
- You must be very social and are willing to talk to people of different cultures regardless of language barriers. Remember, we are going to live with local families. Most of them don’t know how to speak English but that shouldn’t stop you from socializing.
- Plus points to those who’ve been reading and following my blog – I’m sure you know the type of content that I want.
- Free travel in Asia (without allowance)
- Get to know different tourism contacts, chefs, dreamers, gamechangers, family, and many more.
- Expand your skills outside the kitchen and see what it feels like to be outside and be truly alive. <3
Who is qualified to apply?
How to apply:
- Subscribe to my Youtube channel and follow me on Instagram. This may sound like a scam and a way to gain followers/subscribers but one of the things that is required of you is to know my writing style and to know the type of content that I upload. The Youtube channel doesn’t have anything yet at the moment but I will slowly upload in the next few months so you’ll have an idea what type of content we are going to do.
- After subscribing, send me an email with subject “I’m your superstar Asian Chef!” In the body of the email, please write why you are the person for this project in less than 250 words. Attach your CV so I can see your kitchen experience. My e-mail address is email@example.com.
Please note that if you did not follow instructions, your application will go to trash. I will accept applications until December 31, 2019!